Do we really need to go back to the 1920s? Edit
I really doubt that we should be concerned about what happened with computers in the 1920s - 1960s. Granted, Wookiepedia has a timeline reaching back to like 2,000,000 years before the battle of Yavin, but I really think we should be that concerned about the past. I say let's remove everything from the 1920s to 1960s and leave everything else.
Also, we need to get out facts straight about what happened and when. I asked DaveTRON if he would know what year Tron would have taken place and he said because the film was shot in '81 he believes that the storyline in Tron takes place in '81. And that's good enough for me, due to the fact that DaveTRON is good friends with Steven Lisberger.
--Mr. Sinistar 05:39, 6 October 2008 (UTC)
- I agree. While the history of computers is definitely related to Tron as far as subject matter goes, it does not relate in terms of story. With Star Wars, the creation of the galaxy it takes place in is an important part of the timeline since the Star Wars galaxy is not real, and, as such, the creation of its galaxy is an important part of the story canon. With Tron however, the creation of the first computer, while it could be considered the first instance of a computer world, should not be included since it is a real event that actually happened that has not been officially directly linked to any canonical elements.
If Dillenger Jr. were to whip out a massive 1920's computer mainframe in Tron 3, then by all means, bring back the 1920's section and include details on that computer.
TRON.dll 14:11, May 4, 2011 (UTC)
- Check the dates. That conversation has been and gone. :D -- WarBlade 20:14, May 4, 2011 (UTC)
Allow Me to Help Clean UP Edit
The lack of TLC given to keeping the timeline facts straight on this site seriously surprise me. Ive spent countless hours trying to match facts up with dates and im constantly coming across various contrdictions.
insted of listing the screw ups, im going to make a few points on things i believe tend to have the most confusion and let everyone else discuss their opinions and maybe we can start cleaning up things around here:
- First things first: Tron Evolution(PS3/X360/PC) takes place in 1989. After all, it is the events that led to Kevin Flynns disappearance, which plenty of sources by now have helped us confirm happened in 89, dont see how the game could take place in any other year
- Second: Kevin Flynn discovered the ISO's in 1984. the afformentioned games opening cinematic claims that he discovered the ISO's 5 years ago. So if you agree that the game takes place in 1989, then this fact places the discovery of the ISO's in 1984
- Third: The PSP version of Tron Evolution takes place in 1985. It clearly states this in its opening cinematic
- Fourth: Tron Evolution Battle Grids(Wii) takes place either in 1988 or 1989. An interview with its game designers that ive seen on youtube confirm this
The big source i see contradicting this is the timeline photo thats on the Tron timeline page
Also i think somthing should be done regarding the lack of info for the PSP and DS versions of Evolution(moreso the DS version)
Believe me, if i had the money, i would go out and buy all these games, play them and post the info myself. But since i cant im gonna need some assitance cleaning up some of the timeline muck. Im not calling anyone stupid for the mistakes made so far. im giving the benifit of a doubt that perhaps you had unreliable sources.
- I've mostly been sticking to the official movie site for timeline sources. I've never played the games. A couple of points to add, just make sure that when you have details like "5 years ago" that these are real world years and not perceived years in the Tron System, and also you'll find that data will 'stick' better if it is sourced If not then that image is likely to cause a few revert wars. -- WarBlade 06:11, October 11, 2011 (UTC)
- Well it appears to me that this timeline at its website doesnt observe any of the video games or Betrayal. however that doesnt mean im not going to consider them canon. And about the "5 years ago thing", right before claiming he discovered the ISO's 5 years ago, he says he first entered the grid 7 years ago. if this were in human years, 7 years before 1989 is 1982, so he was refering to the events in the original tron film. so i presume his the whole of his statments was being described in human years. And also, In case you didnt notice, i said exactly where i found the proof of all my above statements so im not sure why you felt the need to tell me about sourcing your info(no offence intended, i was just wondering)
- Richie Shemberger 21:44, October 11, 2011 (UTC)Richie Shemberger
- Betrayal and the games are only canon in a broader sense. Strictly speaking, the only true canon in relation to the movies, are the movies themselves. Sourcing statements means adding them to a reference list that we can tie into the bottom of the article. -- WarBlade 23:46, October 11, 2011 (UTC)
- Ill be more then willing to source my statements if you can show me how to do it. Also can you explain in more detail what you mean by "in a broader sense" Richie Shemberger 20:20, October 12, 2011 (UTC)Richie Shemberger
- There are inconsistencies with those other additions to the franchise where they deviate from the movie canon. -- WarBlade 00:28, October 13, 2011 (UTC)
- Can you give me an example? Richie Shemberger 01:11, October 13, 2011 (UTC)Richie Shemberger
- A number of people believe Ophelia and Radia to be the same character and neither are acknowledged by the movie, the ISOs first seen emerging from the Sea of Simulation or arriving overland (depending on which story). There are more, but these are the ones I recall at the moment. Basically just niggling details that aren't kept consistent from one release to the next. -- WarBlade 02:38, October 13, 2011 (UTC)
- To go back on something you were talking about earlier, im not so sure that timeline at disney.com is the best source to be going by. lots of details established in the movies contradict what is said in the timeline(E.G. In Tron(1982) Kevin claims that he invented all the games 3 years ago, whilst disney.coms timeline says he was hired by encom 2 years ago. considering how the site for it is just disney.coms section for tron in comparison to all the sites run by Flynn Lives, its likely theyre timeline could be a rather porley filtered source for info Richie Shemberger 21:58, October 16, 2011 (UTC)Richie Shemberger