Adding links to your page is a helpful way to connect pages together, expand content, and help readers move through your wikia.
Step by step
Using the visual editor
To create a link, you must be in edit mode.
- Begin by highlighting the text you want to link.
- Then click on the button on the toolbar. (If you don't see this button, there are other options. See below.)
- A window will pop up that gives you two options for linking: an internal link or an external link. Internal links are pages within the wikia (or to another wikia). External links are to pages outside of Wikia. Select which one you need.
- Enter the target of the link. For an Internal link, enter the name of the page (see Types of internal links below for more detail). For an external link, enter the full URL (including the "http://" part).
- Make sure the text that should display for the link looks correct (it should be displaying the text you highlighted earlier).
- Click "OK". Your link will appear!
Using source mode
In source mode, you will need to write links using wikitext. (Note: writing the following in the visual editor will also make a link once the page is published.)
- Start by typing double opening square brackets where you want the link to go (
- If the page you want to link to is part of the main content of the wikia, just start writing its name. If it is in another namespace, such as the Talk or Help namespaces, write the name of the namespace and a colon before the name of the page, (e.g.
Help:Links). If you are ever unsure about what to write, go to the page you want to link to and copy the part in the page's URL after
/wiki/. This will be the exact text you need for your link.
- Close the link using double closing square brackets (
]]). You should finish with a link which looks like this:
- If you want to change the text which is displayed when the link is shown, before the closing brackets put a pipe and the text you want, so for example,
[[Help:Common mistakes|things people often do wrong]]looks like: things people often do wrong. Tip: if you are linking to a page that is not in the main namespace and you don't want the namespace to show, place a single pipe before the closing brackets. This will make
[[Help:Infobox|]]look like this: Infobox.
Linking to an external page
Write a single opening square bracket, then the URL of the page (including the http:// part) followed by a space, the text you want displayed, and a single closing square bracket. So, for example,
[http://google.com Google] will look like this: Google.
An internal link is a link that goes from one page on Wikia to another, and can be in any of the following forms:
- To link to an article page, just enter the name of the article in the link field.
- Example: Season One
- To link to a page in a namespace, enter the name both the namespace and the page in the link field, with a colon (":") between them. This should match how the same text appears at the end of that page's URL.
- Example: Characters:Joe_Smith
- To link to a page on a different wikia, enter "w:c:" followed by the domain of that wikia, followed by the page's name.
- Example: w:c:community:Forums:Index (this links to the Community Central Forums)
- Community Central can be linked by just "w:" followed by the namespace and pagename.
- Example: w:Help:Spam (this links to the Spam help page)
Linking to a category or image
When linking to a category for demonstrative purposes rather than for categorizing a page, or if you want to link to an image file page without the actual image showing, put a colon after the double opening square brackets, like this:
[[:Category:Browse]] which will look like this: Category:Browse, and
[[:File:Wiki-wordmark.png]] will look like this: File:Wiki-wordmark.png.
Linking to a page section
If you want to link to a section of a page, make sure the page section is marked by a header. Then, at the end of your regular link, put a hashtag (
#) followed by the section name. As an example, if you want to link to this section of this page, write
[[Help:Links#Linking to a page section]] which will link as Help:Links#Linking to a page section.
Linking from an image
If you want to change the color of one individual link (as opposed to every link on that wikia), you will need to use span tags and CSS on the pipe side of your link.
Using source mode, this means that if I was to, for example, make a link to Help:Contents green, I would write
[[Help:Contents|<span style="color:green;">Help:Contents</span>]] which will look like: Help:Contents.
The pipe trick
When using wikitext, the 'pipe trick' can be used to help write links more quickly. See Help:Pipe trick for more details.
When editing in source mode, a link suggestion feature will suggest the names of existing pages and files based on what you type. This is helpful if you cannot remember a precise name to create a link.
When you start typing a "
[[" and then some text, a popup will suggest items to link. So, for example, if you type "
[[File:S" and then some text, it will suggest existing files on your wikia that start with the letter S.
You can dismiss the link suggestions box by pressing the "Esc" key, and you can disable it entirely from the Editing tab of Special:Preferences by checking the "Do not show link suggest in Source mode" option.
- Preview your changes, and Save when you are sure that you are finished.
- If your new link is red in the Preview, either that destination does not exist, or you typed it incorrectly. If you click on the red link, you will be asked to create the page.
- How to create a new article
- How to use profile pages
- How to sign up for a username
- See Help:Interwiki link and Help:Pipe trick for more advanced linking details